Monday, May 4, 2009

April 30: Welcome to Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam

They allowed me to board the plane. No hassle. Except that a lot of the passengers were speaking a foreign language. That's the start.

Finally, earlier than the supposed 9:00 AM arrival schedule (local time), flight PR 159 arrived at the Tan Son Nhat International Airport. Welcome to Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam.

Arriving at their airport is hassle-free. It was not crowded, and there was a special line for ASEAN passport holders. As a Filipino citizen, I am allowed to stay here until May 21 - no need for visa for tour for 21 days. But I will be staying until the 8th only.

When I stepped outside the glass doors of the airport, I did not see a familiar face. Lots of Vietnamese policemen (the men in olive-avocado green uniform, they are policemen, right?). Mon, where are you? Then I heard my name. Mon.

Instead of getting excited to see him, I was simply relieved that I saw him, and noted that ang itim niya. He was with Ed, his friend and Manila Water officemate.

It really helped that we were with Ed. I could not understand the Vietnamese's english! It was just blah-blah-blah.

Outside the airport premises, it was motorcycles everywhere. Motorcycles. Motorcycles. Motorcycles everywhere. Did I say motorcycles? Yes, motorcycles everywhere. I just said it, motorcycles. Everywhere. It was not even the normal motorcycles everywhere during rush hour, they said, since it was a holiday. But still, motorcycles were everywhere.

Finally, we arrived at the serviced apartment where Ed stays after some 20-30 minutes of ride along motorcycles, er, the busy streets of HCMC. I don't know how much it was, but I guess $15 per night? I'll check it later. A little freshening up, then off to the first stop: Little Manila.

Next: The Food Trip begins

P.S. While in the airplane, I played with my camera. I would be using this camera for my trip, and I didn't know yet how to use it properly.


Fasten Seat Belt While Seated


Trigger Happy


There was a man sleeping by that seat, shoes off, socks showing


Trying hard shot

No comments:

Post a Comment