Sunday, May 10, 2009

May 5: Walk in the Park

It rained in the afternoon. But when the sky cleared up hours later, I took the chance to go to Lưu Hữu Phước Park walking along the street of Châu Văn Liêm (Nguyễn An Ninh just at the other side).

I've then noticed that in wide streets where there were islands, they tend to name the streets differently for each direction (i.e., Châu Văn Liêm for the east bound lane, Nguyễn An Ninh for the west bound lane). It got me confused for a few seconds, but figured it out anyway.



I ate a Celano chocolate-vanilla flavored drumstick ice cream in that cafe. The seller did not know how to tell the price in English, though, and had to call someone else to tell me how much it was. VND 10.000. Or was it VND 13.000? Couldn't recall, really.

While I was enjoying my ice cream, I watched a group of men play sipa. I don't know how they call that game, but I know of it as sipa. They're really good. Great. Awesome. Amazing. And these were not so young men.



When a few of them sat down, and when I was about to explore the park (it was a small park, I later found out), somebody called me, "emoy" (I was told earlier that this is how they call younger people). So I looked. He instructed (signaled) me to take a picture of the men who were playing.

I agreed, without them knowing yet that I could not really understand what they said. Though I knew I wouldn't be able to take a good shot - it was twilight and my lens just could not handle it, plus the fast movement of the players. I tried. Then told them that I couldn't take a decent shot.

So they learned that I was a foreigner. From the Philippine(s). They still persuaded me to take a shot, and pointed the person whom they call "Superman" (young compared to the rest of the group, so probably a better player than them).

They offered me water, but it was really a tea with lots of ice. I declined. They may be nice, but they were men and it was getting dark and I could not really understand them. Taking this chance of another close encounter with the locals, I asked for a photo.

Instead of me taking their picture, the guy they call Superman offered to take the shot so I could join the group. While I hesitated to give him my camera, I agreed.



Then I took a photo of the group. Weird, not all of them looked.



So then I took snapshots in the park.







Then a pagoda...



...and a shot of Ninh Kieu Hotel 2...



...all along Hoa Binh.



When I got back near the riverside near Ninh Kieu Park along Hai Ba Trung, there was this group of motorcycles, este people watching a screenplay (what do you call that thing?)



Then again a snapshot of this...



...at night, with a pair of lovers in that bench.

To top it off, here's a night shot of the ancient market.

No comments:

Post a Comment