Sunday, May 10, 2009

May 5: Goat Curry for Lunch

Lunch at Mekong restaurant (near the statue of Uncle Ho). Goat curry, Vietnamese style for VND 55.000. It was served with rice, and the curry itself had rice noodles in it. I tried to ask before the order arrived, "Is it served with rice?" but the lady who got my order did not understand me. At least she understood when I asked for a "not spicy" dish, but it still was a bit spicy.



Everything in the dish looked familiar except for the thin slice of black thing that I thought was a vegetable or some plant or organism that could be found there. I tasted it, chewed it with much enthusiasm, then realized it wasn't a vegetable. It was a the skin of the goat. It was good, by the way, but I was not really open to the idea of eating a goat's skin.

I spent some idle time after finishing my food watching people pass by the street - in motorbikes, in bicycles, or on foot. It rained a bit, so a few more minutes sitting alone in that place. Then this man initiated a conversation.



He asked where I was from - Philippines. "Philippine." (They always do not say it with the "s" at the end.) He said twenty (two by hand language) men from the Philippine who work there eat or drink there on Sundays - San Mig beer. I doubt if they were Mon and Asyong for they drink Tiger beer.

I was not able to ask them their names. It just gets complicated to ask more questions. But it was nice talking with them (two other men joined the short conversation). They even recognized me on another day I walked past the resto.

-This is Kate F., now blogging from the Philpippine ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment