Wednesday, May 6, 2009

May 4: Foods and Walks

First stop: the cafe beside the one where we ate during my second night in Can Tho.

Food: Spaghetti. Meaty spaghetti.



Drink: Watermelon shake. It was written as "Melon Water Shake" in the menu. I thought it was melon, not the watermelon. Still good, anyway. And I loved the presentation. Aside from loving parsley and stars and rotondas, they also love stirrers.



I haven't been in a restaurant or cafe yet where they serve plain water. They serve iced tea here. The plain kind of tea, no sugar I guess, but I liked it. Weird, but good.



Then as I was about to leave the cafe, it drizzled. Fortunately, the rain did not pour hard yet that time. So off to some snapshots.









I was supposed to go to Can Tho museum. I asked a girl there and she said it would open at 2:00 PM. That was about 12:00 noon. Then I went to a bookstore.

Everything except classic novels for kids were in Vietnamese. It was amazing to see all their books in their own language. I saw Sophie Kinsella's novel in Vietnamese, also Freakonomics, Twilight (Cha Vang, if I remember it right), Eclipse, Harry Potter series, James Patterson books, and even magazines I only used to see in English! Amazing. And when converted to Philippine peso, they come cheap. Even hard bound economics books are cheap (especially when compared to prices in my dear country). If only they were in English, I could have bought some copies for myself.

Then I decided to have some dessert or early snack (weird sense of time) at the cafe at the grocery shop.





Ice cream of three flavors - durian, ube that tasted like kamote, and something like cheese (I couldn't figure it out exactly), with cream at the top, two cherries (I guess those were cherries. I don't eat cherries, but tried one of it, and it tasted weird, then I was not sure if it was a cherry.), and an ube mini stick-o. Great.




Going then gone =P

When I went back to the museum, I finally learned that it was closed. No museum on Mondays. So as not to dampen the spirit, I continued walking alone (despite the numerous offers of motorcycle ride, which I have not yet known how much to cost). Snapshots galore.


This really caught my eye. In a non-English speaking country (really, few people can converse beyond simple phrases), "That's something only love can do" really made me smile.

And more snapshots: pagoda. I tried to ask a lady if I could go inside the pagoda. No success. She could not understand me.





Then traversing Vo Van Tan street, I was nearing the riverside once again.

No comments:

Post a Comment